Tuesday 1 November 2011

SOUP IN A BASKET




It’s the season of soups and comfort eating - a good time to stock up on carbohydrates, ready for the cold days ahead.  Celery makes a wonderful soup and stock ingredient.  The celery I grew earlier in the year was much more successful than I thought it would be.  I haven’t grown it here before, as my soil is light and dry and it prefers moist, rich soil.  Traditionally celery is grown in a trench to help blanch the stems, but I grew a self-blanching variety, called ‘Celebrity’, and I guess it’s getting a bit of that in my patch, as despite the dry start to the summer (yes, I watered it) it did very well.  Celery’s not frost hardy though, so needs harvesting early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.